Guest Blog: 5 Reasons Seniors Should Buy Organic Produce
In older age, your body needs nutrition to prevent chronic diseases and deterioration of dental, bone, and joint health. A balanced diet rich in nutrients is essential for heart health, diabetes, and preventing cognitive decline. But as we age, our ability to absorb nutrition from food decreases. And that’s why it’s even more essential to include nutritious food like fruits, vegetables, nuts, legumes, and fortified cereals.
Experts suggest that including organic food in your diet can help the elderly defend their bodies against chronic illnesses and manage any chronic illnesses they may already have. Organic food is easier to digest, doesn’t contain any harmful chemicals, and carries nutrition better than conventional produce.
What is Organic food?
Even though there is no set definition of organic food, it is described chiefly as food made from produce grown without artificial fertilizers, synthetic pesticides, or other chemicals. Organic poultry and meat products are from animals that aren’t given antibiotics or growth hormones.
When growing organic food, farmers use organic pesticides such as manure and compost. Unlike conventional produce, no chemicals are used to boost the size or to ripen organic fruits or vegetables. In many countries, the government has established strict regulations for growing organic produce. To obtain certification, organic online stores and organic product manufacturers must prove that 95% of the ingredients used to create the final product are natural.
How Organic food Keeps Many Diseases Away from the Elderly?
Senior citizens must avoid all foods that can cause side effects to their bodies. Organic food eliminates the possibility of allergic reactions or side effects due to its all-natural origins. Here are some ways in which organic food helps the elderly –
- Organic food has higher nutritional content, including vitamins and minerals. After a certain age, the body absorbs lesser nutrition from food and it is essential to eat food that offers high nutrition.
- Long-term consumption of organic food provides consistent nutrition that helps combat conditions like heart diseases, blood pressure, migraine, and diabetes.
- The absence of toxins such as chemicals, pesticides, and chemical-based fertilizers helps avoid adverse effects on health.
- Healthy organic foods strengthen the body’s immune system and improves skin and hair health.
However, to enjoy all the benefits of organic food, older people must be given food correctly, and the diet must be regulated as advised by their doctor.
Five Benefits of Including Organic produce in Your Diet
- Contains Antioxidants – Organic food contains 18 to 69% more antioxidants than conventionally grown food. Including organic food rich in antioxidants can reduce the risk of cancer, heart disease, vision problems, and cognitive malfunction. Antioxidants are essential to prevent cell damage due to age.
- Less Chance of Food Related Illness – Conventional food may contain pesticides, chemicals, and in the case of meat – even hormones. Such substances may contaminate food, making it unfit for consumption. Such food may cause food-poisoning or other complications in anyone who eats it. Consuming contaminated food is harmful to everyone, especially senior citizens.
- Stronger Immunity – Organic produce grown naturally is rich in vitamins and minerals that boost immunity in humans. Conventional food is grown with chemicals to enhance the quantity of the food while lowering costs. There are many ways to boost immunity and consuming organic foods to boost immune system. It is free from chemicals and naturally enriched with nutrients that build immunity.
- Zero Percent Pesticide Content – Chemical pesticides in conventional produce can slowly erode the body’s natural immunity and strength. Organic food contains zero pesticides and can be consumed worry-free by young children, adults, and senior citizens. Regular consumption of non-organic food can lead to lifestyle diseases, life-threatening diseases, and chronic illnesses.
- Better Taste – When fruits and vegetables are injected with antibiotics or chemicals to help them ripen faster, it adversely affects the taste and aroma of the produce. Organic food is grown with a 100% natural process that preserves the natural taste, texture, and aroma of fruits and vegetables. Even though growing organic fruits and vegetables take longer, the final product tastes much better.
Research has shown that organic food is a healthier, tastier, and safer choice for people of all ages. Various factors are considered when growing organic food, such as soil fertility, the timing of beginning the growth process, irrigation, and manure to fertilize the plants must adhere to a standard of purity. For senior citizens, diet is an essential part of healthcare. By choosing an organic diet, they can ensure they receive the nutrition and care they need at an advanced age.
Kunal Tambe is part of the content marketing team at Two Brothers Organic Farms. With his team, he works tirelessly to create awareness about organic farming, food sovereignty, sustainable practices, nutrition, climate change and a myriad of issues that surround these topics. His content offers value to farmers, the agriculture industry and to end consumers. Besides writing and developing content strategies, he loves adventure sports and listening to classical music.