Contrary to popular belief, professional teeth cleaning can do more than give you an alluring smile. If truth be told, teeth cleaning is an integral part of primary dental care. Inadequate oral hygiene has been associated with several oral and health issues, including bone loss, strokes, and cardiovascular diseases.
While regular brushing and flossing are essential, they won’t always suffice. To ensure your teeth are thoroughly clean and healthy, teeth cleaning is considered a must. Not convinced? Below are some notable reasons why teeth cleaning is a must for dental health:
1. It helps remove stains that discolor and dull your teeth, so you’ll have a whiter and brighter smile.
2. Regular teeth cleaning can help prevent gum disease, which can lead to early tooth loss.
3. During teeth cleanings, it’s easier for dentists to detect problems like fractures and broken fillings.
4. Many studies have proven a strong link between gum disease and cardiovascular disease. Since getting your teeth cleaned on a routine basis can help prevent gum disease, you also significantly reduce your chances of developing deadly strokes and heart attacks.
5. Every hour, one person dies from oral cancer, and this is in the United States alone. The good thing is many of these cancers are curable if detected early. Dentists can often spot red flags during routine teeth cleanings.
6. Regular teeth cleaning can help you save money in the long run as you can avoid dental issues that might cost you a fortune to fix.
7. Routine teeth cleaning can also allow your dentist to compare your oral health’s current state compared to your last visit. If your dentist spots any issues, it can be corrected right away before causing other oral and health complications.
8. One of the foolproof ways to avoid bad breath is by keeping your teeth clean. Going beyond your essential oral practice of brushing and flossing will not only help ensure you’ll have a healthier mouth, but also a fresher breath.
9. Regular teeth cleaning can also help prevent the buildup of cavities that often lead to tooth decay.
The importance of regular teeth cleaning cannot be overstated. While it will require effort and a little investment, the benefits are truly worth it. You will not only save money in the long run, but you’ll also keep oral and other health issues at bay!
About the Author
Dr. Megan Peterson Boyle is the lead cosmetic dentist with Dental Studio 101 in Scottsdale, Arizona. She is focused on providing anxiety-free cosmetic dentistry services including invisalign, dental implants, dental crowns and cosmetic fillings. She enjoys spending time outdoors with her friends and family.